CHESHIRE HALL PLANTATION
Cheshire Hall Plantation is open Tuesdays to Fridays, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Resumption of regular tour days & hours will be announced soon. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
The best preserved set of plantation-era ruins on Providenciales and thus the most important site for cultural heritage on the island.
The Loyalist were original American colonists who remained faithful to England during the Revolutionary War. By 1778, when the British armies pulled out of the southern states, thousands of Loyalist abandoned their holdings there and fled, along with their slaves, to British-held Florida and later to the Bahamas, which then included the Turks & Caicos Islands.
Thomas Stubbs, brother of Wade Stubbs owner of Wade’s Green Plantation (Bellefield) convinced Thomas to seek his fortune in the Caicos Islands. Thomas Stubbs settled on Providenciales (then known as Blue Caicos) in the late 1700s and name his plantation after his home county. The buildings were constructed from locally cut limestone.
Up to the early 1800s, Cheshire Hall was the most important site on Providenciales and at its height was comprised of about five thousand acres and employed hundreds of slaves.
Cheshire Hall has several ship graffiti inscribed on a lower exterior wall at the rear of the (main) building.
The National Trust offers an opportunity for nature enthusiasts to observe many species of plant and insects and birds animal life; colourful which are attracted to the flowering and fruit-bearing plants.
Cheshire Hall is recognized as the most important of the pre-modern historical sites on Providenciales.