WADE'S GREEN PLANTATION
Wades Green Plantation is THE best surviving loyalist plantation in the Caribbean and the ruins of this plantation set against a forest background make an atmospheric site.
Wade’s Green Plantation is located in the settlement of Kew in North Caicos. It is regarded as one of the best surviving example of a Loyalist plantation left anywhere in the Caribbean. Wade’s Green was established in 1798 to grow cotton. Wade Stubbs was awarded 860 acres of land after he lost his property in Florida during the Revolutionary War. The plantation was originally called “Bellefield”. it is a tranquil site that has been used by the Turks & Caicos National Trust to celebrate emancipation through role-play and enactments. The site has charm and character and has great potential. It has been described as one of the finest examples of the colonial plantation buildings in existence.
The former plantation sits within an extensive area of Dry Tropical Forest, a rare and highly threatened habitat with important populations of birds and reptiles.Wade’s Green Plantation is the only known location of ship graffiti on North Caicos. Although parts of this site were reused until the early 20th Century, the ship graffiti are limited to the kitchen building. This suggests that these were drawn during the plantation period, which ended in the 1830s.